Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Leaving you hanging...bloghop part two.

Those of you who tuned in Monday for part one of the Hookers or Hangers Bloghop already know the deal, but those of you who missed it (and seriously how did that happen) here it is: Falling for Fiction AKA FFF is hosting a bloghop where you post the first line, and last line of three or more chapters from a current WIP. You post your hookers (opening line) on Monday, and your hangers (closing line) today. The first three will be judged, and the ten best will receive a ten page critique from the lovely ladies over at Falling for Fiction.

I decided to post from my new WIP which is about demon hunters, and the working title is called Demon Hunters, cause well, I've been too lazy to come up with a title for it. The basic premise is this:

Demons exist, and the Organization exists to stop them. But when a team is sent to destroy and close access to this world forever, will the secrets they uncover destroy everything?

Today we have the hangers from the same chapters as we had on monday:

Chapter 1:

"Fuck". (what can I say, my MC likes to swear, although trust me the situation warrants it)

Chapter 2:

I let the door close behind me, and tried to force a smile at the man who liked to call himself my father although it probably was more like bearing my teeth.

"Colle, you've been busy." he replied, handing me a file. (I know, more than one sentence but it's dialogue and you need context)

Chapter 3:

"Sure " I replied taking the sword, I'm sleep deprived and jet lagged, so now's as good of a time as any to prove my place.

Chapter 4:

Liam smilled "Let's go hunting."

Chapter 5:

"Stop." I shouted, surprised at myself. "It's actually telling the truth."

Random just for fun line (actually did two this time)

"Colle, I am your father."
I thought about screaming NOOOOO, but I decided it might ruin the moment, after all, there was no guarantee he'd get the reference. It's safe to say I was in shock, which is why my mind went to so many inappropriate places.

I think I'll try Scientology next, Hasidic Judaism requires too much prep work. 

(context here is that most members of the Organization are religious, and it's actually recommended that you choose and practice a religion, Colle likes to alternate)

So what do you think? Any favorites?

And don't forget, go check out the others. Here is the link again.

22 comments:

  1. Chapter 1 and Chapter 4 are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ch 1 for sure! I'm a "sailor" at heart!! But I really love the "I am your father" randomness!!! I laughed out loud!

    I love the voice and personality! I connected with only these few lines. Great Hangers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with all of these. I like #4 the most. I can almost see him smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 and 4 are my favorites. Again, I love the voice here. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those first two a lot. And the Scientology line. That made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I really liked the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Nooooooooo!" hehehe :) I got the reference right away :)

    And I'll go with #1 as my favorite cause the character I'm writing loves to swear too and it's fun to write :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, the last 2 you threw in there for just fun are my FAVS!! I love the SW reference!

    Of the ones above I like #3, it really gives to his character. #1 a lends to his character. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ""Sure " I replied taking the sword, I'm sleep deprived and jet lagged, so now's as good of a time as any to prove my place. "

    A sword? What's this about a sword? AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your random sentence gets me. Makes me wonder, as if I didn't have some sort of idea of who the father really is...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's go hunting! I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a huge fan of the f-bomb. Really! I also liked the I am your father NOOOOOO part. Awesome, awesome. Oh, and the hunting! I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes, it's just right to drop the F-bomb. Sometimes it's just the most efficient word for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. #4 would be my favourite :) Mostly 'cause that line could be taken several different ways ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am one of those people who don't swear all that much, but my characters do. I really appreciate a well places swear word and Chapter one kind of just sets the tone. I love it. Nice! Chapter 4 is good, too. I get the feeling some good action is coming up in the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my fave:

    Liam smilled "Let's go hunting."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Star Wars reference! LOL! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A sword and jet lagged??? Wha??? I'm totally intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd totally read on to the next page with these hangers. :)

    ReplyDelete